The story behind this mangled iPhone 4 may or may not be true – and we are withholding judgment until we know all the facts; but it should make you think twice about charging your phone next to your head.
Apparently the phone’s owner’s “wife” was using the phone when it suddenly became extremely hot (on account of the swollen battery that had dislodged the back panel). The battery then caught fire and “wife” dropped/threw it on a table where it left burn marks and set off a fire alarm.
“Wife” apparently suffered some burns from the ordeal and the table was damaged so owner took the phone into the Apple store to share his tale of woe. What happened next is uncertain, as is the authenticity of this little tale – but batteries have caught fire before have they not? [Slippery Brick]