Olive ONE High Definition Media Player, Lets You Host Your Own Music Cloud
To simply pass the Olive ONE off as a media player is selling it very short. It does a lot more. The device collates all digital music that a person has in his or her home (as long as they are connected to the home network) and makes them accessible from the Olive ONE player. It does not need to store the files directly, it simply indexes them for simpler access – unless of course the user chooses to the internal hard drive option (1 TB will only set you back an extra $100) – which also allows it to act as a cloud music server, making the home music library accessible from anywhere in the world.
High definition is a term that gets bandied about a lot these days and it can be a little tough to know exactly what that entails. Olive HD plays studio-recording quality tracks. If you don’t feel like upgrading all of your library, have no fear – it also plays MP3, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF and iTunes – lets you use streaming sources including, but not limited to, Spotify and Pandora. There will be accessories to, including stackable modular speakers and lighting.
At the time of writing, the ONE has just launched on Indiegogo. If the funding proves successful then it should be ready to ship in summer 2013. It is important to remember that not all crowdfunded projects get built, but given the relative affordability of the device, the apparent build quality and Olive HD’s history in the audiophile-grade media player department, I would go as far as saying that the funding round should be a resounding success. Neil Young’s stirring of the pot with his own high-grade media player prototype earlier in the year doesn’t hurt either. Let’s just say it launched today and has already pulled in nearly $40,000 worth of funding.
From Olive HD:
The biggest differentiation of Olive ONE is its open architecture, which is the key reason why we have opted to launch this product through the popular IndieGoGo crowdfunding platform. We have worked on engineering a new cutting-edge hard- and software platform for Olive ONE for a little more than a year. It features the latest wireless technologies (Bluetooth 4.0, dual-band 802.11n WiFi supporting the Direct/Miracast/DLNA standards) and an ultra-fast ARM processor as well as multi-touch capacitive touch-screen technology. We already have the first pre-production prototypes, and the campaign now allows us to involve end-customers, app developers and artists in the development process to build Olive ONE to their taste and preferences. The product is slated to ship in summer 2013 (SDK for app developers already in May), and will ship directly from Olive to 220 countries worldwide.
At $399 it is quite a bit cheaper than the other Olive HD devices on the market. Whether or not it will be a “game changer” is too early to say, but it is certainly shaping up to be very interesting.
• Dynamic Range / SNR: 112 dB
• THD+N: – 93 dB @ – 1 dBFS
• 8X oversampling
Dual HD amplifiers and DSP
• 2x 32W/channel into 8 Ohm, high-efficiency (92%)
• 1 amp per channel, perfect channel separation
• DSP with patent-pending PRISM technology
• Analog: Speaker out (24k gold-plated)
• Digital: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast ™
• Bluetooth (A2DP)
• Wi-Fi Direct™
Digital Audio Input
• Bluetooth (A2DP)
• Wi-Fi: Miracast™, Direct™, DLNA/UPnP
Graphical User Interface
• Built-in 7.0 inch LCD with capacitive touch-screen
• TV interface via Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast™
• Free Apple® iPhone®, iPad® and Android App
• Supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
• DLNA Certified®
• Play music from Mac, PC, NAS (UPnP)
• Multi-room music (requires ONE for each room)
• Stream music from portable devices
• Connect wireless headphones or speakers
Built-in AV hard drive
• 2.5” AV hard drive or SSD drive
• From 500GB to 2.5TB
Olive Home Cloud Service
• Access your music anywhere in the world.
• Dynamic compression: Stream up to full HD quality (24-bit/192kHz)
• Power: Meets EUP (0.5W in Standby)
• RoHS compliant
• Recyclable (aluminum and glass)
Dimensions & Weight
• Diameter: 9.0 inch (22.9 cm)
• Height: 1.61 inch (4.1 cm) max
• Weight: ~6 lb. (2.7 kg, without HDD)
• Access to all your music through one simple touch-screen interface
• Navigate & play music on your TV via Wi-Fi Miracast. Or use the free iPhone/iPad or Android app.
• Audiophile sound quality (Best-in-class 32-bit/384kHz DAC by Burr-Brown and dual HD amplifiers)
• Built-in hard disk drive (optional) that turns ONE into your own – subscription-free – Home Cloud. Access your music anywhere in the world.
• Open architecture for app developers and artist
• Customizable design with fine aluminum and glass materials
• Hand-built in San Francisco, USA
• Only $399
If you want to fund the Olive ONE, head over to the project page on Indiegogo. Funding options that actually land you a device start from $379.